This soups also freezes well and we always have a few portions in the freezer for when we want something quick for lunch.
Sweet potato and butternut squash soup is rich in carotenoids.
Carotenoids are a category of phytonutrient (plant nutrient), and are rich in rich in certain vegetables. Carotenes are a class of carotenoid and are associated with an orange pigment in fruits and vegetables. This soup has a triple whammy of carotene rich orange vegetables with sweet potato, squash and carrots.
These phytonutrients are thought to have multiple positive effects on human health and the prevention of disease. They have been shown to have a role in protecting your eyesight and skin from damage and have been associated with reduced risk of certain cancers. Carotenes, such as beta-carotene can also be converted to vitamin A by the body. Delicious and healthy, the perfect combination.
Carotenoids serve as anti-oxidants, helping to reduce inflammation in the body. They are also thought to have a positive effect on the immune system, which is particularly useful coming into the colder months of the year.
To add some creaminess to the soup, you can serve with a little cashew cream or soya cream.
Sweet potato and squash soup
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 big sweet potato or 2 small ones 600 - 700 grams
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 1 carrot
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1.5 liters of boiling water
- pepper to taste
- Start by dissolving the vegetable stock cube in the boiling water in a big pot on medium heat
- Add the peeled and roughly chopped onion and garlic and add to the pot
- Peel the butternut squash, remove the seeds and roughly dice. Add to the pot
- Peel the sweet potato and carrots, roughly chop and add to the pot
- Cut up the leek and add to the pot
- Add the spices and pepper to taste
- Leave it simmer for 30 minutes or until all vegetables are soft. All the vegetables should be covered by the water. Add more water if needed .
- Blend to a very smooth texture. You can remove some of the water before blending and adjust during the process to obtain the texture desired.
- Add a little cashew or soya cream for extra creaminess (optional)