These vegan peanut butter oat cookies are sweetened with maple syrup and have a lovely peanut butter flavor with a hint of cinnamon and vanilla. Dark chocolate chips are also used in this recipe, however they also taste great without.
If possible try and find peanut butter that is made with 100 peanuts rather than with oil fillers.
This is a quick and easy recipe and these cookies can be made from start to finish in just over 20 minutes (plus a few minutes for cooling). Its an ideal recipe to make with the kids since they are not a significant undertaking, and you can be done and dusted without destroying the kitchen too much (in my experience anyway).
How to Make These Peanut Butter Oat Cookies
To make this recipe, you combine the wet ingredients in one bowl and the dry ingredients in another.
So you place the peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla essence and oat milk in a bowl and mix everything together.
Then in another bowl combine the oats, wholemeal flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt and mix everything together.
The next step is to combine the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients, and mix everything together. At this point you can also add the chocolate chips if you are including them.
After everything is mixed together, you roll the mixture into little balls. For this I like to use a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop.
The cookie balls taste pretty good at this point, so try to avoid eating (all of) them. Place the cookies onto a tray lined with baking paper or a silicon tray and flatten them into cookie shapes with a flat implement such as a spatula.
The cookies take around 12 minutes in the oven at a temperature of 180 degrees Celsius (355 degrees Fahrenheit). Since ovens tend to vary slightly, another sign that they are ready is when they start to darken around the outside. The recipe makes about 14 cookies.
Peanut Butter Oat Cookies
- 85 grams oats
- 80 grams wholemeal flour
- 120 grams smooth peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons oat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 25 grams dark chocolate chips optional
- Preheat the over to 180 degrees Celsius (355 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Put the oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt into a large bowl and mix everything together
- Put the peanut butter, maple syrup, oat milk and vanilla essence into another bowl and mix everything together well.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix together until the cookie mixture is consistent throughout and there is no more dry porridge/flour remaining
- Roll the cookie mixture into small bowls. Using a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop can be useful to take the same amount of mixture each time and ensure cookies of of a similar size.
- Lay some parchment paper on an oven tray
- Place the cookies on the parchment paper and flatten into cookie shapes with a flat object such as the bottom or a cup, leaving approximately 2cm (3/4 inch) between each cookie
- Bake the cookies in the over for around 12 minutes or until cookies start to brown on the outside.
- Remove cookies from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before devouring