This chickpea sandwich spread is a very tasty and healthy alternative to less healthy sandwich fillers. It is based around chickpeas and tahini, two of the main ingredients in hummus, and then adds a melody of flavours through the addition of the other ingredients that interact to produce a great tasting result.
Chickpea Sandwich Spread
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 stick of celery
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 small red onion
- 10 olives
- 8 cornichons mini gherkins
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- 6 slices of wholemeal bread
- Drain the liquid from the chickpeas and place in a bowl. Mash with a potato masher until the chickpeas have reached a paste like consistency. Add the tahini.
- Finely chop the celery and the peeled onion and add to the bowl. Then finely chop the olives, cornichons and capers and add to the mixture.
- Mix everything together. Then spread the mixture onto some nice wholemeal bread.
- Top with tomatoes or other toppings of choice such as cucumber, mixed leaves, chives.
- Serve one sided or make into healthy and tasty sandwiches.